Sunday, August 9, 2009

August 9, 2009

It is amazing how much quieter the summer tends to be compared to the rest of the year, I suppose it is because many people go for their summer vacations, but it is kind of nice to have warmer weather and less stress to go with it. Our week was pretty typical, except Joann was home the entire week - a miracle in itself - while I hit the road for a quick trip in and out of our St Louis Research site. I enjoyed my usual good luck with traveling for business. I was supposed to fly from Hartford to Chicago to St Louis and to start the trip off right, the flight from Hartford was cancelled due to maintenance. Amazingly, American rebooked me for a direct flight to St Louis out of LaGuardia and paid for a cab ride down to the NY airport. To continue the amazement, the traffic wasn't particularly bad and I made it with time to spare. Landed up only landing 30 minutes later than originally scheduled and didn't have to go through a connection. As the trip was only really for one day in St Louis, if I hadn't made it on Monday it wasn't going to be worth going. Had a good trip and got to connect with the St Louis team that performs the same work as my group here in Groton.

Jo had her usual mix of meetings throughout the week and is preparing for some travel this week - wouldn't want to have two weeks at home. For the weekend, we did a bit of pre-birthday celebrations to make up for Jo being absent on my big day next week. Friday we had dinner with Sheri and Bruno at a Waterford Italian restaurant and then went to Ocean beach for some mini-golf (Bruno won with a blistering 47 on a par 42 course - yes, we aren't particularly skilled at putt-putt as a group) and then enjoyed the band and firework display. Saturday it was up early for a long training run for our September half-marathon, then the gym, grocery store, and library. The rest of the day consisted of powerwashing the house. I have now completed half of the house, although the other half has a lot of brick work that doesn't need as much cleaning. You get to enjoy me powerwashing (I'm quite the fashion statement aren't I!) as the only other choice was a picture of the 3 blueberries we got out of the garden. Between the rain and cool temperatures the garden has been pretty much a bust this year, so don't expect too many other vegetable photos (yes I know you are so disappointed). The flower garden has faired a bit better and we have hydrangeas and daisies in bloom. Saturday night after a birthday dinner of roast beef and mashed potatoes (yeah!) we hit Dairy Queen for blizzards (aren't birthday's just a great reason to through caution to the wind) and finished up with a movie. Today, I'm planning to read and relax all day to celebrate my big day tomorrow (since Pfizer apparently doesn't recognize my birthday as being worthy of taking the day off).

Well that's it for another week. Next time I write, I will be firmly in my 50's.

No comments:

Post a Comment