Monday, February 15, 2010

February 15, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day and President's Day - naturally we didn't get the day off, but work was quiet as many of those with little ones in the school system stayed home. The turkeys have been around recently trying to find some open ground to scratch up some food - whatever they eat in the winter is a mystery to me, but they are very diligent about working to find it. With the fresh snow on the back porch, it was interesting to see all their tracks and the apparent puzzle of arrows pointing every which way to go. Their feet make a perfect arrow by the way - fun fact to impress your friends at your next opportunity (Gee George, what footprint pattern would turkeys leave in the snow?, Gosh Bill, I just don't know - you can see how it goes from there). Unfortunately, it is easier to see them than photograph them when you have my photography skills. Just imagine 30 feet of all these arrows running in every direction.

We had a reasonably nice weekend with Jo arriving back in town on Friday very tired and with a bit of a cold. I guess I should clarify - I had a nice weekend, Jo spent it recovering from her cold and catching up on missed sleep. Friday night the opening ceremonies for the Winter Olympics was on the docket and that captures a major theme for the entire weekend. I love watching the amazing things these superb athletes can accomplish - especially the mogul-freestyle skiers. It makes me envious and also very glad I have a nice desk job that won't tear out my knees in my thirties.
Saturday, after our morning run and weightlifting, Jo made some desserts for the evening events and then promptly sacked out on the couch for a couple of hours. Meanwhile, I finished up the last little bit of the tax stuff to ready it for the accountant. I then enjoyed several hours working on my computer game while the Olympics played in the background. That evening we were off to Westport, CT to visit with some friends, Barbara and Mike, who recently relocated back from San Francisco. It was a great evening of catching up and enjoying the tour of their wonderful new house - including the hobbit inspired front door (remember, I'm only 5 foot 9 and I'm as tall as the door - Mike keeps hitting his head on the door). Also, check out the slippers on the dog - it was to help the dog get traction on the slippery floor so the dog wouldn't hurt itself - it made for some interesting stories and evening humor.
For Sunday, we decided to read in bed in the morning actually skipping all of our usually exercising finally getting up just in time for lunch. The rest of the day consisted of chores around the house and - yep you guessed it - catching up on the latest Olympics successes and heartaches. Dinner was a homemade vegetable and pasta soup using some more of our garden potatoes (sweet and regular). Then it was off to get ready for another exciting week of working.

No comments:

Post a Comment