Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Warmth in San Diego

As expected, winter just won't let go even though it hasn't been that cold most of the winter.  We had more snow come this week, but fortunately, as you'll read below, we were in San Diego soaking up some sun and warmth.  We are starting to think about how we might maximize the amount of vegetable gardening we can do both in terms of finding space as well as the light since the houses tend to be pretty close here.  This really helps both of us deal with the winter blues that always seem to hit in late February and early March.

Jo had a business meeting in San Diego so I tagged along to enjoy a few days with temperatures above 30 and the sun actually providing warmth.  We flew in on Wednesday and I spent the next day touring the town and the famous San Diego zoo.  The zoo was a delight, although very expensive to get into, especially with how close to downtown it was.  I really enjoyed seeing the usual cast of zoo characters (lions, tigers, elephants, and giraffes) but more so the really unusual animals.  For instance, the okapi which looks like a cross between a horse, zebra, and giraffe.  You have to wonder what natural pressure led to such unusual markings.  Balboa park was also amazing with several spectacular trees plus having all the museums clustered together like that makes it easy to see several in one day.  I only wished I had more time to see them as I really wanted to tour the Natural History museum as well. 

I was pretty worn out from all my walking so I took it easy on Friday and got caught up on some reading and then Saturday after a morning business session, Jo and I decided to see how much of San Diego we could walk in one afternoon/evening.  We stopped to see the USS Midway which I would highly recommend to anyone going to San Diego (of course, I would always recommend people seeing anything having to do with military history).  They did an excellent job of having a lot of the ship open to see and it was interesting to imagine the lives of the 4,500 sailors on board.  Afterwards, we walked over to "Old Town" to tour and have dinner.  We enjoyed a great Mexican meal before hopping into a taxi back to the hotel to soak our tired feet.  All told we figure we walked about 6 miles that day. 

 Sunday it was an all day trip home, but everything on the home front was still standing.  I should mention that we had to punch several holes in our living room ceiling to try and find a small water leak.  We were unsuccessful and now figure that there must have been some water leaked during the bathroom renovations.  We are now in the process of getting the holes patched up and then I get to paint the living room ceiling and trim again - oh yeah!  I'm working on painting one of the second floor closets leading me ever closer to having the interior all painted.

No comments:

Post a Comment