Monday, May 28, 2012

Visit from my Brother

 Happy Memorial Day and a special thanks to all the veterans who have sacrificed their time with their families and their lives to keep the United States safe.  We took full use of the long weekend starting with Friday with enjoying fresh, strawberry margaritas on our front porch watching the world go by.  We caught up on our week and just enjoyed the nice warm weather.  Saturday we headed off to Lake Geneva to visit with our good friends, John and Linda.  We cooked out, since it is the un-official start of summer, and then got out on their boat for a cruise around the lake.  The weather was a little chillier than ideal since it had been raining in the morning and the clouds refused to break up.  A very relaxing day and along with the fun of catching up with each other.

Sunday my brother and sister-in-law came up from Chicago (note the lack of hair on my YOUNGER brother - I just always have to point that out when I get a chance, I may have less than I used to but I still have more than him!).  They were in Chicago to celebrate De's milestone birthday, which I'll politely leave off - but it is one of the major decades and she is four years younger than me (you can do the math), with some clothes shopping.  They took the convenient Amtrak train up and as this was their first visit we spent a fair amount of time touring the house regaling them (or boring them, but they were too polite to say so) on all of our renovations.  We then took them downtown to see Milwaukee proper and enjoyed the kite festival at Veteran's Park.  Some amazing kites were up and the stunt kite flying was very impressive.  Although, someone who trains for stunt kite flying must have a little too much time on their hands.  All too soon they had to head back to Chicago to get those last few deals.

Today, Jo headed out for a long bike run while I strapped on the running shoes to enjoy a longer run than normal.  Then Jo, to follow De's lead, went to Mayfair mall to improve her summer clothing options.  Since I spend most of my days in shorts, my clothing needs have really dropped down significantly.  In fact, I may not need to buy new clothes for another 3-4 years.  While she was gone I continued working my work through the Steven Jobs biography.  Interesting character and given his personality, thank goodness he was a genius.

Our work week was pretty standard.  I finished off my screen project and successfully installed screening material in all my new screens which are now providing great breezes into the house.  Our garden is doing nicely and we will harvest our first crop of lettuce and spinach this week - assuming the bunnies or squirrels don't get it first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment