Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Anniversary Party in Cheyenne, WY

Cheyenne, Wyoming was our destination this weekend.  My niece held a surprise 30 year anniversary party for my brother and sister-in-law.  This required some intricate logistics as Jo was traveling this week in New Mexico.  She managed to hook-up with my parents flying up from Albuquerque while I came in from Milwaukee and we all managed to meet in Denver without any flight delays.  We had some extra time so we headed to Fort Collins to enjoy a nice lunch with ice cream cones for dessert after which we walked around the town a little bit and did some card shopping.  I'm not sure I completely got the allure of the front range around Denver as the traffic everywhere we happened to be, was horrific.  Even Fort Collins was packed with cars - not exactly the peaceful western outdoor environment you might expect. 

Anyway after our shopping we headed up to Cheyenne.  We had a lovely dinner with my niece and her boyfriend that evening and then headed over to her home for an evening of catching up and cards (golf, in case you are curious, I managed second place).  Saturday morning was gorgeous so Jo and I headed out for a run into downtown Cheyenne and managed to survive even though at 6,000 feet there isn't enough oxygen in the air (apparently about 17% less according to Google) compared to what are used to down at sea level here in Wisconsin.  We then headed over to the Wyoming State Museum to learn a little about the state.  Very interesting museum and I would recommend it to anyone in town with a little time to kill.  It is free and does a good job telling the Wyoming story - except for why Cheyenne was founded where it was (according to my brother it was a train stop on the Union Pacific railway).  Unfortunately, the state capitol was closed so we will have to do that on our next visit.

After the museum it was party time so it was over to my niece's place to spend the afternoon chatting with my friends and family.  The surprise part of the event was a success and the pulled pork sandwiches were delicious.  We were also introduced to mango flavored Mike's Hard Lemonade, which I would highly recommend.  Sunday was another sunny day so after our morning run we went over to my brother's place to see all the changes he has made to his property since our last visit.  We managed to squeeze in some more rounds of golf (the card game, not the hitting the little white ball game) before it was time to catch a quick lunch on his deck before we had to head back to Denver to catch our flight home. 

The remaining portion of the week for me was primarily taken up with finishing the exterior painting on the deck which is now officially painted - time to start on the north and south facing windows (yes the painting is never finished on this house...).

No comments:

Post a Comment