Tuesday, January 21, 2014

My Dad would be so proud

I know this is an old theme this winter, but it has been absolutely brutal here in Wisconsin this year.  Besides the freezing cold temperatures (the high today might make it to 5 degrees) it has managed to snow almost every day for then last two weeks.  It doesn't snow a lot, just an inch or so, but it necessitates shoveling the driveway and sidewalks every day - since if you don't remove the snow it becomes ice and given the winter we are having it will be ice until May.  Now I normally like removing snow, but that is when I get to use my snow blower, which I don't when it only snows less than an inch.  That is enough whining about the fact that Wisconsin has cold, snowy winters.


The reason for the blog title this week is that I wanted to demonstrate to my father that all those "wasted" (my thoughts and words, not his) weekends of my childhood spent in the garage working with him on some aging automobile when I would rather would have been doing something with my friends weren't completely wasted.  I managed to change the lift supports on our Jeep's rear door without damaging the car or having the door crash on my head.  Next up is changing one of the heated seat switches.  Just not to create false expectations on my level of car repair skills, I don't think I have actually ever opened the hood on our other car (so, there might be an engine in there, also might be two squirrels and a cat running it).

With Jo laid up on her crutches our evening and weekend events have been fairly limited since moving more than 20 yards on crutches is a slow and somewhat painful process.  We did decide we needed to get out of the house for a little bit and so on Sunday we drove over to Sauk City to watch the bald eagles.  During the winter over a thousand eagles make WI home to escape the cold of Canada (I guess - boy they certainly should have headed further south this year, oops, more whining).  We picked up Kathy and John in Madison on the way and spent about an hour watching the adult and young eagles soar over the Wisconsin River feeding.  These are spectacular birds and it was amazing to see twenty of them all in one place.  Afterwards, we had a delightful brunch at the Blue Spoon in downtown Sauk City before heading back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment