Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Visit with the Parents

I finally decided that enough of the year has elapsed and I'm planting my garden regardless of the 50 degree temperatures that seem to just go on and on this year.  So most of my beans, cucumbers, squashes, carrots and parsnips are in for the year.  I underestimated the amount of room I had for brussel sprouts so I ran short of seeds so it will be a light brussel sprout year (which it is usually anyway due to our cool weather keeping them from really popping a lot out).  Now we just need enough warm weather to germinate the seeds - I'm hoping.

On Friday, I headed to Lake Geneva to help our friend, John, launch his boat for the 2015 summer season.  Was great to catch up with him and all the family doings (amazing how much more stuff goes on with a family of six relative to a family of two) since we last saw each other in February.  Managed to squeeze a quick ride around the lake, once we had the boat all gassed up and cleaned, between downpours as the day was a mix of clouds, sun, and rain.  His daughter Jenna, and some friends, were along so got to hear a bit about how her first year in college went.  Now we just need to find some free weekends and toasty temperatures to enjoy the lake.

My parents are in Chicago visiting my sister and shopping on Michigan Ave. (not sure which is the first priority for my Mom).  They came up to visit for the weekend and braved the cold, rainy weather on Saturday.  We got in some great card games of Hasenpfeffer during the rainy afternoon and then enjoyed a pepper flank steak with grilled onions and potatoes for dinner.  Afterwards, it was time to catch up on what is happening with the family.  Sunday the sun broke through and we headed over to Madison to show my parents our new condo.  We enjoyed lunch at Cento nearby and then came home in time for one more card game before they caught the train back to Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment