Friday, July 24, 2015

Visit from the Wyoming Side of the Family

Last week we enjoyed a visit from my Mark, De, and Joe - my brother, sister-in-law, and nephew.  They were on their way back from a cross country drive that took them from Wyoming to Pennsylvania and back - all in a car when the outward bound leg driven straight through (something like 25 hours of driving).  Seemed crazy to Jo and I but then we haven't ever lived in big sky country where you need to drive around 3 hours just to get to the next city.  We had a great time showing them a little of Milwaukee which included a stop at the Comet Cafe (it was on their list of must-sees), and the Harley Davidson museum.  And no trip to Milwaukee would be complete without a tour of at least one brewery.  We choose Sprecher's mostly because I love the free root beer at the end of the tour.  The spent a day down in Chicago visiting our sister and then it was time for them to pack up and start the trek home.

Last weekend and this week was the annual meeting for Northwestern Mutual.  This kept us busy with dinners every evening which included my favorite event - the garden party at the Milwaukee Zoo.  Once again, Sprecher's root beer floats were on tap and a couple of them made their way over to me.  I only did two since I ate too much dinner - I will need to watch that in the future.  I don't like dinner to get in the way of the number of floats I can consume.  It was a lovely evening for a stroll through the zoo and we chatted with several of the representatives and folks from the home office that Jo has gotten to know over the years.  Along with the dinners we also enjoyed the closing concert which was Lady Antebellum this year.  Kathy, Drew, and Amy were able to join us for the concert and Kathy, Drew, and I found time to partake in cinnamon rolls at City Market the following day.

The rest of the week has been catching up on chores, getting the water heater replace (it was getting up there in the years and since things on this house only fall off when it is maximally inconvenient, I thought I would try to preempt that problem), and doing a lot of laundry since we had to wear multiple outfits a day last week with the annual meeting events.

This weekend is the Milwaukee air show and the Thunderbirds and F-15 fighter jets have been practicing since Thursday - the picture is one that Jo took out of her window.

No comments:

Post a Comment