Thursday, July 25, 2019

Another Milestone Gone By

As the end of July rolled around so did Northwestern Mutual's annual meeting.  This is a five day affair for us and involves five days of cocktail parties, dinners, and enjoyably a concert to finish it off.  As Jo will not be with them next July - we hope!!! - this was our last annual meeting.  It provided all the usual fun - 6 cocktail parties where I had to make small talk while trying to remember people's names, eat food without spilling it all over my shirt, and hold a plate, glass, and shake people's hands without spilling something all over them.  As anyone that knows me making small talk with complete strangers is probably my best skill, so I've had sooooo much fun those five days.  The cocktail parties were followed by five dinners where I really ate too much.  I know I should be more disciplined, but I hate leaving food on my plate and since we don't usually start with an appetizer, then salad, then a main course consisting of steak and a piece of fish, followed by dessert, I ate too much and now need to lose a few pounds.  That used to be easy in my 30's, but I'm not in my 30's anymore so it's diet, diet, diet.  Anyway, the Sunday social event was held at the Summerfest grounds and included admission to Italian Fest so it wasn't really all work.

The highlight this year was the concert - NM brought in Jimmy Buffet and his concert was a blast.  Really fun music that had the crowd dancing the whole time along with beautiful graphics playing on the screen behind him of the Caribbean.  It really made you feel relaxed and wanting to be out on a boat in the sunny south.  He definitely has the music you want playing in the background as your ship cruises the warm Caribbean seas.  Kathy and John were able to join us for the concert but unfortunately had to head right back to Madison afterwards (something about John needing to work for a living or some such nonsense as that).  Fortunately for us, we had just a 15 minute walk home (one advantage of living in downtown Milwaukee and yes, I'm rubbing it in a little bit to John). 

So we are now finished with annual meetings and I will probably be able to winnow my cocktail party attendance down to only one a year (if I'm lucky, Jo usually has a different opinion on parties than I do).  We will probably miss having these kind of events to attend in the future as we begin to contemplate what our next stage looks like, but I'm sure we will find new adventures to fill in for them - or we will just spend our time staring at each other on the couch (one of the two).

1 comment: