Sunday, March 7, 2010

March 7, 2010

We are enjoying a nice break from the winter this weekend as the temperatures have soared up into the 50's for the first time since November last year.  We took advantage of the thaw and went out shopping yesterday at a local outlet mall.  We were both successful in finding some shirts and pants to augment our current collection.  Mostly it was just a beautiful day to be outside walking around.  We were also planning to then go see the movie Avatar but unfortunately the theater we selected no longer was showing it in 3D and since the whole point of the movie was the new 3D technology it didn't seem worth it to see it in 2D.  So we quickly modified our plans to enjoy renting a movie and seeing it at home.

This last week has consisted of the usual work mix for both - Jo was off to Puerto Rico for two days and I was in CT for the entire time.  However, it didn't consist of our usual evening workout routine as I'm still constrained from running - more on that later - and lifting.  So I'm hitting the exercise bike every evening which while I get a sweat up isn't as peaceful and mentally restorative to me as running.  My shoulder continues to get more mobile every day with a lot less pain than I was expecting - except when I use it in a direction it doesn't like then it promptly reminds me that is still fixing itself.  Sleeping is probably the hardest since I roll around a lot when I sleep and everytime I roll onto my right shoulder it wakes me up to remind me to stop doing that.  Friday I went to the doctor to have the bandage removed - which was fantastic since my skin underneath was getting really itchy - and the stitches pulled out.  I can now see what was done - I have five holes, four sort in a line from the front of my chest up and over the top of my shoulder and the fifth hole located over where I assume my rotator cuff would be.  The good news is that the doctor gave me permission to start running again as long as it doesn't bother me although lifting is still out.  I decided to wait until the middle of next week to give it a little more time, then I'm heading back to the road.  I also need to begin physical therapy which, from what everyone tells me, is brutal.  Seems the whole point is to move your shoulder in a direction that really hurts and then move past that point until you almost pass out from the pain.  Sounds like fun. 

Today's temperature are looking like a repeat of yesterdays, so we thought we would begin to clean and straighten the garden up.  Mostly as an excuse to enjoy the great weather.  Will probably find time for a nice walk in the neighborhood.  Then it is time to tackle another week of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment