Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Down to Chicago, again

Jo continues her recovery and is eagerly looking forward to her next doctor appointment next week to hopefully be told she can begin to put some weight on her right leg.  She is really tired of spending her days either keeping her leg in the air or crashed out on the couch.  There isn't that many interesting things you can do week after week sitting on a couch - apparently I don't have enough sterling conversations in me to keep her fascinated after four weeks (who would have guessed that?).

Our big event for the weekend was to attend the wedding of the daughter of our good friends, John and Linda in the Chicago area.   Mother Nature decided to show her appreciation for the happy couple by sending some lovely snow flowers to cover all of dirty roads and make the trees especially lovely.  Given the predicted 6 to 9 inches we headed down a day early while the roads were still passable and stayed overnight in a local hotel.  Worked out fine and Jo at least got to sit around in the morning in a different environment.  It was off to the church in the afternoon for the ceremony which had the bride and groom looking spectacular.  It was a Lutheran ceremony which was a nice change from the usual Catholic events we attend - what I really mean is it was nice length.  Although, I must admit I'm always amazed at how fast you can get married - especially given the lifelong commitment you are making.

After the wedding ceremony we hit the local Starbucks for a place to sit, talk, and read until the reception later that evening.  For the reception we had a great time meeting a lot of John and Linda's other friends and marveling at how much everyone loves the two of them and their kids (I guess I shouldn't be surprised since they are all so nice to us all the time and I should assume it isn't just us they wheel out the niceness).  The other interesting thing was how their friends share very similar behaviors - like an irreverent sense of humor for one.  The dinner was great, an open bar (although Jo had to tone it down since she can't get to wobbly on her crutches and I was the designated driver), and a dessert buffet that made me wish I was in my 20's again so I could have done some real damage.  Since dancing on crutches was out (Jo has no sense of adventure) we headed back home relatively early.

We spent the rest of the weekend catching up on some reading and shoveling snow - yes, we had another 3 inches here.  I shoveled, Jo provided moral support from, yes you guessed it, the couch.  I'm predicting we won't see the grass in the yard until April sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment