Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Squash Attack

What is the hobby farmer to do?  Last year, I planted four squash plants and we only managed to get a two or three squash to eat.  Trying to learn from my past mistakes I upped the number of seeds I put in this year to increase my squash yields.  Sounds like a wise plan doesn't it?  While we have enjoyed an increased number of squash to enjoy (up to six so far) - the plants have taken over most of my square foot beds.  I have squash plants invading every corner and growing another couple of feet a day - they have completely cut off access to two of the beds.  I know I should just get out the trimmers and cut them back, but I just can't get myself to do it since they worked so hard to grow.  The good news is that we have several excellent acorn squashes growing for upcoming fall meals in addition to the yellow squashes.  While global warming is causing, and going to cause, all sort of problems around the world, it has helped our vegetable beds in chilly Wisconsin - we have had a very warm summer which I'm thinking is a major cause for my squash plant invasion.

Last Friday, we traveled to our Alma Mater, Illinois.  The professor that Jo did undergraduate research with, many moons ago - think around 455 moons, retired (on a side note, the professor I did undergraduate research with didn't get tenure and left - difference between having Jo work for you versus me?  I'll leave that up to you to decide).  They held a symposium for his retirement and Jo was asked to present a short talk.  This was after copious warnings on her part that she isn't a card-carrying, practicing chemist anymore.  Jo gave a nice talk about what she learned as a senior in his group that helped her throughout her career.  It was interesting to see where all of his former graduate and undergraduate students landed up (like HR) and what they are now doing since they all started from a common point of interest in inorganic chemistry. For me the highlights, besides seeing Jo in action giving her talk (of course), was staying at the Illini Union (although staying on the side facing Altgeld Hall was a mixed blessing depending on your feelings about bells chiming out the time all through the night) and munching some Papa Del's pizza (the dinner following the symposium was at Papa Del's).  As you might guess, if you have followed this blog for any time, two pizzas found their way back to Wisconsin to be frozen for future dinners.

After getting back late Saturday night from Champaign, we lazed around a bit Sunday morning before heading over to the Brewer's stadium to watch the home team win over the Cincinnati Reds.  I know everyone has been missing ongoing pictures of the sausage race, so I've included Sunday's shot for your enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment