Thursday, August 14, 2014

Visit to the State Fair

My sister managed to arrange for two days off over a weekend so came up to Milwaukee to escape the noise and bustle of downtown Chicago.  Because everyone knows that Milwaukee is so less noisy and bustly.  After arriving Friday morning we hit Café Hollander for lunch and then spent a couple of hours browsing books at Boswell's.  Fortunately for Boswell's my sister loves to keep independent bookstores in business and she purchased a couple of books.  Later that afternoon we met up with Jo downtown to take in the Kandisky exhibit at the Milwaukee Art Museum.  My view of Kandisky's work is that I loved his early work with has rich use of color, but once he went abstract he lost me.  I'm sure he knows what he is painting but it just looked like stuff people doodle during boring meetings at work.

Saturday we were up bright and early and headed to the WI State Fair.  We enjoy walking around the fair grounds taking in the animal judging (especially trying to figure out what exactly makes one animal better than another) and checking out the animal barns so Jo can get her fix of petting farm animals.  Why she loves petting farm animals is anyone's guess but I think it provides her flashbacks to her childhood when her Dad had cows on the back acres and that somehow relaxes her.  We took in the duck racing which, in my personal opinion, is not as exciting to watch as the pig racing, and then headed for the food stands to see what new food has been put on a stick - pork chops on a stick sort of stuck out for us this year.

After lunch we toured the dessert hall where Jo and I enjoyed a whoppie pie while Cheryl stuck with a cookie.  Then it was off to the exhibit hall to see all the fun gadgets being hyped.  I can't explain why, but I absolutely love to watch people promoting ginzu knifes and food choppers - I just love to listen to their spiel.  We finished the fair with visit to the flower and vegetable exhibits.  We had a great time although we did not we should move the exhibit hall to earlier in our tour route to lessen the crowds a bit.

That evening we enjoyed a light dinner after our fair food and watched a movie together - Oz, the Great and Powerful.  We gave it two thumbs up for excellent animation and colors but only so, so on the plot.  Sunday morning started with a small celebration of my latest birthday and I really like switching the standard birthday cake for a cronut and cupcake.  Of course you can't go wrong anytime sugar and frosting are involved - in my humble opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment